Computerbank is an independent not for profit organisation based in Melbourne. We started recycling and refurbishing computers in 1998. Our low cost computers are refurbished by skilled volunteers for Australian Concession Card holders and other eligible customers.
We install Linux on all our computers with useful software that suits most people. Not only is Linux software free, but it is a genuine alternative to the proprietary software Microsoft Windows. We may be able to assist with installing other systems, if our customers require.
What do we do?
- Refurbished Desktops and Laptops
- Our donated computers are tested and refurbished
- We install a customised version of the Linux operating system on our computers
- Computerbank is an independent not for profit organisation run by volunteers
- Our computers and laptops are offered to disadvantaged individuals and community groups
- We have distributed over 10,000 computers to individuals, families, and community groups
Long Term Savings
- One of our customers has been with us for 12 years. He has spent $250 total in buying three refurbished computers from Computerbank over that time. He has saved a few thousand dollars by not buying new computers each time.
- Using Linux keeps the costs of computing much lower, instead of paying money every few years for the latest, paid applications, not to mention the annual cost of anti virus software.
- By using a refurbished computer you are helping the environment by giving a highly manufactured piece of equipment a second life.
Donations and Recycling
Computerbank receives donated computers, laptops and tablets and refurbishes them with quality free software. Computers are donated to us by businesses, education institutions, not for profits and individuals. Our computers are offered to disadvantaged individuals and community groups.
We Recycle Responsibly
Any computer parts that are found to be broken or have reached the end of its useful life, do not end up in landfill. The metals are sent to scrap recyclers here in Melbourne or sometimes sold through our Ebay page. Computerbank will not allow our obsolete equipment to be sent to unsafe dismantling plants in third world countries.