Computerbank’s volunteers range from technical experts to hobbyists and come from many cultural and linguistic backgrounds and ages. Are you interested in recycling electronic equipment, supporting welfare and community based organisations and would you like to help enable access to computing for people on low incomes? We use open source software on our computers (not Windows) all volunteers have Ubuntu experience.
WordPress Administrator – Vacancy
The computerbank.org.au website is the primary link between us and our clients. We are looking for an administrator for Computerbank’s WordPress website. You must be able to demonstrate prior work with WordPress and have references. Administration can be carried out remotely.
- Manage Users, Plugins, Upgrades, Site Layout and Site Permissions
- Maintain Security and Backups
- Manage Domain Name for Website and Emails
- Use Google Analytics and SEO
- Train Intranet Users
- Update Content
Email firstname.lastname@example.org Tell us about your skills and interest in open source software. Please include your resume as a pdf.
Front Desk and Customer Service: VACANCY
A great way to get some IT retail experience. Volunteers who successfully complete at least 6 months solid volunteering with us may ask for a reference. Front Desk Customer Service involves volunteering on Saturdays 12.00-5pm (every second Saturday is ok). Experience with Linux essential. Duties include customer service, answering phones, database entry, account for stock movement, advising people about our low cost Linux computers and how to recycle their surplus computers. Familiarity with Ubuntu Linux is essential as is a willingness to learn.
Technical/Buildroom and Warehouse: VACANCY
We pride ourselves on building computers that are reliable. This involves careful building of Ubuntu computers to our requirements and checking computers to our standards. This also involves hard drive wiping, recycling, computers and components and some warehousing. Familiarity with GNOME/Mate and Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 essential. Linux skills essential. Familiarity with hardware useful too.
Possible days to volunteer for are Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday.
- Experience with Ubuntu is essential for all volunteer positions
- Component assembly
- Linux command line experience, System Administration
- Networking concepts
- Experience with open source packages GIMP, LibreOffice VLC, Firefox
- Software development
- Customer service
Email email@example.com Tell us about your skills and include your resume as a pdf. Let us know what day/s you can attend. We will invite you to an information session, where we can discuss volunteering. Information sessions are held regularly.
Are there any paid positions going at Computerbank? No
Volunteering at Computerbank
- Volunteers must be able to commit to 1 or more shifts a fortnight.
- For any technical role at Computerbank, having Linux skills is essential. We need people with command line skills, people who can manage files from the command line and know the difference between a regular prompt and a hash prompt. Ideally you will already be using Linux on your home computer.
- All volunteers help out with recycling and housekeeping tasks, if this is not you, please don’t apply.
- Volunteers will need to login to our website on a regular basis to add their name on a roster and to check for updates to documentation and our to do lists.
Android expertise: NO VACANCY
We are looking for a volunteer with documentation and Android phone/tablet expertise with a view to help us set up a system to refurbish Android tablets and phones for concession card holders.
Inhouse and Telephone User Support: NO VACANCY
Involves providing user support to new users. Most of our users DO NOT use the command line, nor are they expected to. Requires patience and excellent knowledge of command line, Ubuntu and a GNOME desktop environment. Lots of patience. We use some KDE applications. Ability to familiarise with Computerbank’s custom Lucid and Trusty Ubuntu. We provide in house and phone user support on Friday between 10 – 5pm and Saturday between 12.30 – 5pm.
Work for the Dole positions in the Build room: NO VACANCY
Wednesdays and Thursdays – 15 hours a week.
Contact your Job Network officer regarding a Work For the Dole position at Computerbank. Involves building and checking computers and components as well as recycling computers and components. Some warehousing. Familiarity with hardware useful too.
Will you teach me to use and develop Linux and open source software? We need volunteers who are familiar with GNU/Linux already. We are unable to provide any Linux skills training. Here’s a link to a list of LINUX COURSES some of them are free.