Low Cost Computers and Laptops
Fridays 10 to 5pm and Saturdays 12.30 to 5pm
Computerbank is a not for profit, volunteer run, community group based in West Melbourne. All our low cost computers are installed with the Ubuntu Linux operating system (not Microsoft Windows) and come with cords, a keyboard, a mouse, LCD screen and a user guide. The computers are ready to access the Internet, to write documents and have a range of other programs.
Our computers are refurbished donated computers and laptops and are available for low income individuals, students and community groups. To help cover our operating costs, excess desktop and LCD stock is sold at higher prices to people who do not have a concession card.
Computer Recycling: equipment unable to be reused is recycled. Computerbank recycles all e-waste locally and with care for the environment. All hard drives are wiped (using DBAN) or destroyed if they no longer work. Our work is carried out by volunteers and a small team of casual staff.
Who is eligible for a low cost computer?
- Our low cost recycled computers are available if you have an Australian Commonwealth Concession Card, a Health Care Card or have a Student Card.
- Asylum seekers need proof of Asylum Seeker status. Asylum Seekers are eligible for one free $30 computer.
- Bring your Australian Commonwealth Concession Card, Health Care Card, Student Card or proof of Asylum Seeker status to Computerbank on Friday between 10am-5pm and Saturday between 12.30- 5pm.
- Not for Profit Groups are also eligible for our computers.
- Our computers come with a 6 month warranty, our laptops have a 3 month warranty.
- Get a low cost computer or laptop.
- Recycle your computer and how to donate equipment.
- If you have Linux skills, how to volunteer.