Open Fridays 10 to 5pm and Saturdays 12.30 to 5pm
Refurbished desktop examples – August 2016
Desktop computers for concession card holders 50% more for non concession card holders
- $30 Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, DVD Reader, 17″ monitor, keyboard and mouse included
- $68 Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz 4GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, DVD Burner, 17″ monitor, keyboard and mouse included
- $105 Core 2 Duo 3 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250G Hard Drive, DVD Burner, 256 MB video, 19″ monitor, keyboard and mouse included
- $180 i3 3.20, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, DVD Burner, 20” Widescreen LCD *
- $220 i5 3.20, 4GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, 23″ Widescreen LCD *
All our computers come with the Ubuntu Linux operating system and useful software (not Microsoft Windows).
Laptops start from $90 for a Core 2 Duo and range up to $260 for an i5 processor
Laptops are for concession holders only.
* Subject to availability
Security: Computerbank’s Ubuntu operating system comes with a built-in firewall and virus protection software, Ubuntu is one of the most secure operating systems around
Computerbank is a not for profit, volunteer run, community group based in West Melbourne. The computers have a keyboard, a mouse, LCD screen, cords and a user guide. They are ready to access the Internet, to write documents and have a range of other programs.
Refurbished Computers: Our computers are refurbished donated computers and laptops and are available for low income individuals, students and community groups.
Computer Recycling equipment unable to be reused is recycled. Computerbank recycles all e-waste locally and with care for the environment. All hard drives are wiped (using DBAN) or destroyed if they no longer work. Our work is carried out by volunteers and a small team of casual staff.
Who is eligible for a low cost computer?
- Concession Card Holders our low cost recycled computers are available from $30 if you have an Australian Commonwealth Concession Card, a Health Care Card or a Student Card.
- Asylum seekers need proof of Asylum Seeker status. Asylum Seekers are eligible for one free $30 computer. Bring your Australian Commonwealth Concession Card, Health Care Card, Student Card or proof of Asylum Seeker status to Computerbank on Friday between 10am-5pm and Saturday between 12.30-5pm.
- Not for Profit Groups are also eligible for our computers.
Warranty: Our computers come with a 6 month back to base warranty if our operating system is still installed, our laptops have a 3 month warranty.
- Get a low cost computer or laptop.
- Recycle your computer and how to donate equipment.
- If you have Linux skills, how to volunteer.
Some Computerbank Volunteers